Where can I get help with study skills? I’m finding it hard to focus on my revision/write an essay/plan a presentation.


Manchester Met University offers a variety of support to students who require a little extra help with academic skills. You may need extra help because you’ve been out of education for a while, or you may just find that the step-up to independent learning at university is harder than you imagined. The support that MMU can offer includes one-to-one sessions with Academic and Study Skills Tutors, short courses, study skills online and peer assisted learning. Find out more on the MMU Study Skills website.


I think I might have dyslexia. Is there any help or extra support I can get to help with this at uni?


Yes! The MMU Disability Support team are available to help you so if you have a learning disability then get in touch with them. You may need to have an assessment to check what support you will need, and the Disability Support team can help to set this up. They can also come up with a ‘Personal Learning Plan’ that is specifically for you – to make sure that you get the right help with your study needs. This may be extra time in exams, or someone to read through your work with you. The Disability Support team can also help you to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance to help any extra costs because of your dyslexia. This might be a laptop or special software for your computer.


I have a disability. Is there any extra support I can get with my uni work?


If you have a disability of any kind (mental health difficulties, learning difficulties, mobility impairments, sensory impairments, autism or Asperger’s syndrome, or unseen disabilities like epilepsy or HIV) MMU Disability Support are there to support you throughout university. They can help you to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance, ensure that you can access the equipment and specialist help that you need, and make sure that the support is tailored to your needs through a ‘Personal Learning Plan’ for you. Contact them at disability.service@mmu.ac.uk or phone them on 0161 247 3491.


I’ve been asked to attend a meeting to discuss possible academic misconduct. What does this mean?


The University suspect that you may have broken some of their academic rules. Most of the students that we see have been asked to attend the meeting to discuss possible plagiarism, but you can also be asked to attend a meeting if the university thinks that you have committed collusion, attempted to gain an unfair advantage or cheated in an exam.


I don’t understand all these ‘academic’ terms. Can you explain what each one means?


Of course!

Plagiarism includes copying an author’s work, not using quotation marks and changing the words in another person’s work to make it seem like your own. You can also ‘self-plagiarise’ when you include bits of your own work that you’ve previously submitted for another assignment.

Collusion is copying another student’s work or letting your work be copied. This can be a common problem during group work.

Attempting to gain an unfair advantage is paying someone else to do your work or falsifying your data.

Cheating involves taking unauthorised material into an exam.


What will happen at the meeting? I feel very anxious about it.


It’s normal to feel worried before a meeting but they are usually less scary than you’d expect. Most meetings are with your Head of Department. Get in touch with the Advice Centre before your meeting. We can talk to you about what to expect in your meeting and what sort of questions you will be asked. We can also help you to prepare and, if it’s a particularly tricky case, an Adviser might be able to attend the meeting with you.


Will I be expelled?


This is very unlikely. Even if the university is satisfied that you have committed plagiarism, the outcome of the meeting will vary depending on a range of things including whether you have attended an academic misconduct meeting before, or how much of your work has been copied. Often when a student is found guilty of academic misconduct then they will have to resubmit the work, and the mark is capped at the pass rate (40% for undergraduate students or 50% for postgraduate students).


I’m not going to be able to hand my assignment in on the deadline. Will I fail my course?


It’s unlikely that you will fail your course because you’ve not handed in one piece of work, especially if this was your first attempt at the assignment. If you’ve not been able to complete your work on time because you have been going through a difficult period then you should submit Exceptional Factors. If you submit Exceptional Factors it lets MMU know why you’ve not been able to complete your work. This could have been because you were unwell, or you have had a family bereavement or personal problems. Exceptional Factors should be submitted before the submission deadline and you will usually need to provide evidence (such as a letter from your doctor) to support your case. The Advice Centre can help you to put together an Exceptional Factors case.


I can’t meet my assignment deadline, but I don’t have any evidence for Exceptional Factors. What can I do?


Come and talk to us! Usually you’ll need evidence for Exceptional Factors, but this is not always the case. An Adviser may also think of some evidence that you can provide that you had not thought of. If you don’t have any Exceptional Factors, but you still can’t meet the deadline, you can submit your assignment up to 5 working days after the deadline and it will still be marked. However, the maximum mark that you will be able to get for the work is the pass mark (40% for undergraduate work and 50% for postgraduates on taught courses).


I’ve just received my results and I want to appeal them. Can you help?


Yes, we can! You can usually only appeal your results if you can show that the university has made a mistake with your assessments. For example, if the wrong exam paper was given out or if an invigilator stopped an exam too early. You can’t just appeal because you disagree with the mark you have been given. To make an appeal you need to complete an appeals form and provide evidence in support of your case. If your appeal is successful you will usually be given another opportunity to do the assessment. An appeal is unlikely to mean that you are given a higher mark for the work that you have already done unless the university have made a mistake with your results, such as incorrectly adding up the marks that you got for a unit.


I’ve just got a letter from MMU and it says I’ve been withdrawn. I’ve paid my tuition fees already – how can they do this?


If you have missed a lot of classes or have not submitted work, the university can take steps to withdraw you if you have not told your tutors what is going on. This is why it’s really important to let your department know if you’re having difficulties. MMU should write to you on at least two occasions before they withdraw you, and they will only withdraw you if you don’t get in touch with them to discuss your situation. Contact the Advice Centre if you have been withdrawn and we can help you to appeal the decision. But be aware that you only have 7 days to appeal.


What if I fail a unit?


Resits: All students have an automatic right to one reassessment opportunity in a unit. If you fail this reassessment, you could be withdrawn from your programme so get in touch with us about any possible grounds for an appeal or exceptional factors.


I’ve been invited to a Fitness to Study meeting. What is this?


Fitness to Study: The University operates a Fitness to Study policy, when there are concerns about whether a student is able to fully engage and succeed with their studies (for example, if a student’s health is affecting them progressing on their course). The University will consider whether additional support needs to be put in place. If you are invited to a meeting about this, we can provide advice and guidance - so do contact us.


I have received an invite to a meeting about Fitness to Practice. What is this?


Fitness to Practise: A student on a programme that leads to a professional qualification can be subject to additional procedures if there are concerns as to whether that student is professionally suitable for that qualification or status. Contact the Advice Centre if you’re invited to a meeting to discuss your professional suitability on a course.