I’ve run out of money and won’t get my student loan until next term. What can I do?


Contact the Advice Centre. We can have a look at your financial situation and check whether there is any other funding that you can apply for.


I’ve heard that the university has a fund that I can apply to for some money. Is this true?


MMU has several support funds that you may be eligible to apply for.

Speak to the student financial support team if you want more information or you need some help with your application.


Some of my friends have had money on their Metcard or a rent reduction on their MMU Halls. Can I get this?


It sounds as though your friends have got the MMU Student Support Package (SSP). This is available to new first year students studying at MMU, whose household income is £25,000 or less. It is a maximum award of £750 for full-time students and between £187.50 - £562.50 for part-time students. The money will either be applied as credit to your rent if you live in MMU Halls, or as money on your Metcard. If you think that you are eligible for the SSP but you have not received it, contact instbursary@mmu.ac.uk.


Help! I don’t know how to budget. Can you help me make sure that my student loan lasts until next term?


We can certainly help you to plan a termly budget. Unfortunately, most students find that their student loan is not enough to cover their accommodation and living costs and they also rely on part-time work and a student overdraft to see them through. We have advice about how to budget in our Debt and Money booklet and you may also find it helpful to complete the income and expenditure sheet inside to work out how much money you have to spend each week.


I can’t afford to make my monthly credit card/phone bill/store card payments. What should I do?


Come and speak to an Adviser. These sorts of debts are called ‘non-priority’ debts and are not as important as ‘priority debts’ such as your rent, mortgage, gas and electricity bills and council tax. We offer a free debt advice service and can look at the options that are available to you for dealing with your debts. In some cases we can negotiate with your creditors (the people you owe money to) and we can help you to set up a realistic payment plan. Many other services also offer free debt advice. You can chat to an adviser on the National Debtline website. They also offer loads of useful budgeting tools, fact sheets and FAQs.


I can’t afford to pay my rent and I’m worried that my landlord will try and kick me out. What should I do?


Contact the Advice Centre and talk through your situation with an Adviser. We can check that you’re receiving the correct amount of student loan, we can advise you on managing any debts that you have, we can help you to set up a repayment plan with your landlord and we can also check whether you could be entitled to any extra financial support. You may be able to apply to the MMU Day to Day Support fund for some financial help. You can be evicted if you don’t pay your rent, so come and see us as soon as you’re having financial difficulties.


I can’t afford to pay my rent and I’m worried that my landlord will try and kick me out. What should I do?


It depends on your situation. If you come and talk to us we can take a look at your financial situation and assess whether you can offer a realistic payment plan that MMU are likely to accept. Sadly, in some cases this won’t be possible. But even if this is the case for you, we can still discuss your options and help you work out your next steps.


Can I get any extra financial help, such as benefits to help cover my living costs?


Most full-time students are not eligible to claim welfare benefits unless they have a child or a long-term health condition or disability. If you’re not sure but think that you might be eligible, please get in touch and an Adviser will be able to check for you. MMU also have some support funds that you may be eligible to apply for.