Physical Mental and Sexual Health


I don’t have a doctor or dentist in Manchester. How do I get one?


You can find a local doctor (GP) or dentist online. It’s always best to register with one early rather than leave it until you need help, as this helps avoid additional stress. If you go home during the vacations you should still be able to see your home doctor, either as an emergency case or as a visitor.


I’m a full-time student. Does this mean that I won’t need to pay for my prescriptions?


Most medical and hospital treatments on the NHS are free to people who ordinarily live in the UK. However, even if you are a full-time student you will be charged for some services including prescriptions (£9.15 per item), dental check-ups (£22.70 for a basic check-up), sight tests and glasses.


I can’t afford to pay for my prescriptions. Can I get help with the payments?


To get financial help towards these costs you should complete an HC1 form. When you fill in the form you will need to include details of your income (including your student loan) and any savings that you have. Depending on your circumstances you may then get an HC2 certificate (full help with costs, including free prescriptions) or an HC3 certificate (some help towards costs). Information about how to apply is on the NHS website.


I have a disability and need extra support at university. Where can I get help?


MMU Disability Support service can provide advice and support to you. They offer a confidential service and can talk you through the resources that may be available to help you during your time at MMU. They can talk to you about a Personal Learning Plan (PLP), a document that recommends additional support with your studies (e.g. extra time in exams). They can also advise on any assessments or screenings that may help you to get support in place. And they can help you to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance to help cover any extra costs linked to your disability or long term ill health.


I’ve been ill and now I’m behind with my assessments. What can I do?


The university has an Exceptional Factors (EF) procedure that you can use to let the university know about the difficulties that you have been having. If your EF are successful you will either be given extra time to work on your assessment, or you will have another opportunity to submit the work. The Advice Centre can help you to make an application, so please get in touch if you would like our support.


I’m struggling with my moods and think I need help to manage my mental health. What support is available?


There are a number of different services that may be able to help, some will be more suitable than others depending on the level of support that you need:

MMU Wellbeing Advisers – Talk through your worries and concerns and learn about how to improve your wellbeing.

MMU Counselling Service – One-to-one Counselling, referrals to other services, and online therapy.

Your GP (doctor) – Offers support, can discuss medication needs, referrals to other services.

Accident & Emergency Services – Visit your local A&E or phone 999 if you are at risk of harming yourself or others.

Samaritans – Someone to talk to every day of the year, online support also available.


I had unprotected sex last night. Where can I get emergency contraception?


You can get free emergency contraception from the following places:

Emergency contraception can also be accessed from local pharmacies (usually free for under 25s). For a list of pharmacies in Manchester, visit the Brook Manchester website.


Where can I get sexual health advice now?


One You (NHS Sexual Health guidance) includes contraception guides, information on sexually transmitted infections, sexual health advice and FAQs, information on menopause and advice about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender health.

LGBT Foundation provides a range of sexual health services focused on sex positivity and sexual wellbeing.

The PaSH Partnership offers free, confidential sexual services for black and minority ethnic communities; free support and advice for people living with HIV; advice, support and resources for LGBT people to take control of their sexual health and wellbeing.

National Unplanned Pregnancy Advisory Service provides free pregnancy advice, counselling and abortion termination treatment clinics including pregnancy testing, STI screening and contraception.