At MMU there is a variety of sources to assist with mental health issues. Below we have listed top tips, advice and useful links to help you find the information you need.



  • Register with a GP
    Don’t wait until you need help. Register with a GP (doctor) as soon as possible so that support is easily available when you need it. 

  • Seek help when you need it – don’t wait
    If you’re experiencing difficulties then make sure you seek help. There’s plenty of support available - see our list of services within the University and local community.

  • Keep Uni informed
    If you’ve missed a few lectures, a deadline or an exam then talk to someone in your department. It always helps if you keep the University up to date so they can offer you any guidance. Your Advice Centre can help you with submitting exceptional factors.

  • Be aware of the Exceptional Factors procedures
    If your assignments or exams have been affected by unexpected personal or health issues then you can inform the University by submitting an Exceptional Factors claim.


If you’re experiencing difficulties make sure you get advice and support as soon as possible. No issue will be considered unimportant so don’t worry about talking to someone about how you feel. Here’s a brief guide to services in the University.



MMU have a team of professionally qualified counsellors and wellbeing advisers. They can offer one-to-one counselling, wellbeing and health advice. 
They provide a range of courses and workshops, such as managing anxiety and mindfulness

Telephone 0161 247 3493 / Email    

You can also access Togetherall 24/7. Togetherall is an online platform monitored by trained clinicians. All members are anonymous so it's a safe place to get things off your chest, have conversations and express yourself creatively.




The advisers within the Disability Service act as a contact within the University for current and prospective disabled students. They provide confidential information, advice and support to students about the internal and external resources available to them. This might include a Personal Learning Plan (PLP), which is a document that makes recommendations for the support you require on your course and covers areas such as teaching and exam recommendations.

The Disability Service Advisers will work with students to help steer them through any necessary screenings or assessments, which will identify their individual needs. They can also assist with any applications for the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs).


Chaplains provide support to students of faith but also of no faith, along with access to volunteering schemes and other activities that provide development and support opportunities. Chaplains work closely with faith societies and can discuss matters of faith and spirituality, along with a listening ear when life feels challenging. MMU’s chaplain is Mohammed Ullah.


Chaplains of various faiths are also available at St. Peter’s House.




There are also agencies outside of the University who can offer support and guidance.


National mental health charity. The website includes useful factsheets and guidance.


Out of hours mental health support (4:30pm - 10:30pm, 365 days a year)

Student Minds

This mental health charity has been set up to specifically help students


They offer a listening ear 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can call them for free on 116 123

Mental Health Foundation

Their aim is to improve the lives of those with mental health problems or learning difficulties


Supports people through mental health services

PANDAS Foundation

PANDAS Foundation supports with pre (antenatal) and postnatal depression.

42nd Street

This service is for young people aged 11 – 25 living in Greater Manchester. Services include individual therapeutic support, advocacy, projects and activities.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Support, advice and information when someone has died. Telephone: 0808 808 1677.

Students Against Depression

Advice, information, guidance and resources to those affected by low mood, depression and suicidal thinking.

Talk to Frank

Up to date drug information and where to get help.

Manchester Integrated Drug and Alcohol Service

A recovery focused service.


A charity that supports people with eating disorders.

Telephone: Helpline: 0808 801 0677 Studentline: 0808 801 0811