Unfortunately, there is not a lot of short-term money or quick access money available to students. Therefore, it is important to start dealing with any potential financial problem as early as possible, before you run out.


View the booklet




If you have tried everything else and it is clear that you have insufficient money, you can apply to the University’s Day to Day Fund. Awards are discretionary and will depend on your circumstances. Day to Day Fund awards do not have to be repaid.


What you can apply for

Day to Day Fund awards can help with a wide variety of needs including childcare and travel costs, unforeseen expenditure and priority debts. The Day to Day Fund cannot pay for tuition fees. Students who have insufficient money to maintain themselves because they have to pay fees can apply for help with general living costs.


When to apply

Apply to the Day to Day Fund as soon as you realise that your money will not stretch far enough. Do not wait until you are down to your last fiver as applications can take at least four weeks to process. Our tip is to apply early for funding – the sooner the better! If you’re the sort of person who leaves everything until the last minute, make sure you don’t miss the closing date because late applications will not be considered.


Deadlines will be available on the Day to Day Fund website. We encourage you to apply early as the fund is limited and may run out before the closing date.



Most full-time students will not qualify for welfare benefits for the whole of their course, including summer vacations. There are exceptions to this rule and you should get advice about your entitlement if you:

+ Have children
+ Are sick or disabled
+ Receive a Disabled Students Allowance because you are deaf 
+ Are over pension age.
You may qualify for benefits when you have finished one course and are waiting to enrol on another.





You may be able to apply for extra help from educational trusts and charities. This can be a time consuming and slow process but a number of students have achieved successful outcomes. Charities and trusts will often only help specific groups. For example, they may be restricted to helping students on certain courses, above or below a certain age, from particular parts of Britain, or in defined occupations/professions.


How to apply to a charity or trust

The first stage is to check the website for the instructions or to contact the trust or charity giving brief details of your situation. If you fit their criteria then the organisation will usually send you their own application form.


You may need to write a letter explaining why you are applying. You should include:



+ Title of your course


+ University start date and what year you’re currently in

+ Age

+ Place of birth

+ Brief details of your previous study

+ Explanation of your financial difficulty and why you are applying

+ Estimated financial requirements

+ How your studies would benefit yourself or others

+ Any information about why you are appropriate for that trust fund.


Awards are often quite small (around £300 - £500) and charities generally make one-off payments.




Scholarship search

You can search for scholarships and funding that you might be eligible for in the Scholarship Search database. There are £250 million worth of scholarships and grants available to students annually. This can be used for undergraduate and postgraduate courses and can be used by UK, EU and international students.

Find out more about scholarship search



This website has details for hundreds of grant-giving charities that may be able to provide financial support. Not all the charities are just for students, most of them are based on your personal situation (e.g. if you have a disability or if you have children). If you do an advanced search you can find the charities that best match your circumstances. Turn2us can be used by undergraduates, postgraduates and UK, EU and international students.

T: 0808 802 2000 (09:00–17:30, Mon to Fri) For people who can’t use the website.

Find out more about Turn2Us



This website is specifically for postgraduate students. It has details of research council awards, scholarships, bursaries, charities and trusts. It also has a regularly updated list of funding opportunities from UK higher education institutions.

Find out more about Prospects


British Council Guide to Scholarships

This website is specifically for international students who want to study in the UK. The site hosts a full list of the scholarships and bursary options available to specific groups. This is just a brief list and searching through one of the above databases will give you a list of charities that match your particular circumstances.

Find out more about British Council scholarships


Mynshull's Education Foundation

Grants are made to students up to the age of 25 for educational purposes, such as equipment, textbooks and one-off travelling expenses. The areas covered by this fund are the city of Manchester and the adjoining districts. The Trust does not make grants to postgraduate students.

T: 0161 834 6069

Find out more about Mynshull's Education Foundation


Student Disability Assistance Fund

This Fund helps students with disabilities to keep up with their studies. The maximum amount of each award is £500 and students must be involved in higher education on a full-time or nearly full-time basis. Students must apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance before applying to the Fund.

Find out more about the Student Disability Assistance Fund


Gilchrist Education Trust

Applications are considered from students who have made proper provision to fund a degree or higher education course but find they are facing unexpected financial difficulties that may prevent them from completing it. For example students who are required, as part of their course, to spend a short period studying abroad may be eligible.

T: 01903 746 723

Find out more about the Gilchrist Education Trust


Heywood/Middleton Educational Trusts

Applicants must have lived or attended school in the relevant area and the trust can provide assistance for any purpose that promotes the education, training and development of the applicant

Find out more about the Heywood/Middleton Educational Trust


The Harris Charity

The charity can assist throughout Lancashire (although Preston District has special priority), and aims to help those under 25. They can provide grants for books, equipment or appropriate training and education.

T: 01772 821021

Find out more about the Harris Charity


The Savoy Education Trust

You can apply to this trust for a small grant of usually no more than £500 to assist you if you are undertaking a hospitality related degree course and need help with fees or to purchase items required for the course such as books, uniforms and practical equipment.

0207 849 3001

Find out more about the Savoy Education Trust


The Sir Ricahrd Stapley Educational Trust

This trust is specifically for postgraduate students Grants are usually £400 to £1200 and there are strict eligibility criteria. Applications for 18/19 will be open sometime in the Spring Term.

Find out more about the Sir Ricahrd Stapley Educational Trust


The Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS)

TASS is a partnership between National Governing Bodies of Sport and Educational Institutions, designed to help athletes in higher and further education. The programme has been created to help students fulfil their sporting potential by maintaining a sensible balance between academic life whilst training and competing as a performance athlete. Scholarships are up to £3,500. You should speak with your governing body to establish whether they are willing to nominate you for an award.

T: 0191 607 8270

Find out more about TASS


Unity Foundation

This is a charitable trust from Unite Students aimed at estranged students and care leavers. Successful Applicants get support with accommodation. They award scholarships to students with a wide range of backgrounds and academic grades.

Find out more about the Unite Foundation



If you have a household income under £25,000, you can apply for the Student Support Package. This should be automatically awarded as long as you have not opted out of sharing information from Student Finance England with the university. If you are in MMU Accommodation, this should automatically come off your Halls fees. Otherwise it will be paid onto your MetCard. If you are in Halls and would like the money on your Metcard, please contact

More information about bursaries


Care leavers bursary

Care leavers at MMU can also apply for an additional cash bursary of £1,000 per year.

More information about care leavers bursary


Estranged Students

Estrangement means you have no relationship with either parent. The Advice Centre may be able to help with applying to Student finance England. You can contact to discuss what support MMU can offer.


Manchester School of Art Credit

If you are studying on a course in The Manchester School of Art, the University will credit your met card with up to £200 to help you to cover the additional costs of materials associated with art and design practice based courses.

More information about Manchester School of Art Credit