Hate Crime

All Manchester Metropolitan students have a right to feel safe and be free from any form of discrimination or hate crime. The Advice Centre and the University are here to support you if you have been affected.


What is a hate crime?

Hate crime is any criminal act that is targeted at a person, or a person’s property because of hostility or prejudice in relation to:

+ disability

+ race or ethnicity

+ religion or belief

+ sexual orientation

+ transgender identity

+ alternative sub-culture

+ any perceived difference

+ Avoid expensive credit, such as unauthorised bank overdrafts or pay day loans.


Hate crimes and incidents take many different forms and are not necessarily acts of physical violence. Some examples of hate incidents include:-


+ Verbal abuse such as name-calling and offensive jokes

+ Harassment

+ Bullying or intimidation

+ Physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting

+ Threats of violence

+ Hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail

+ Online abuse, for example on Facebook or Twitter

+ Displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters

+ Harm or damage to things such as the individual’s home or vehicle

+ Graffiti

+ Arson

+ Malicious complaints


You may feel uncertain as to whether you have been victim of a hate crime, or you may feel that what you have experienced is almost a daily occurrence. Equally, you may feel that you have been subject to microaggression and are uncertain as to whether this constitutes a hate crime. In each case you should feel able to make a report so that you can access support and advice.



How can you report hate crime

Please note - if you feel in immediate danger:


+ Call the Police on 999.

+ Contact Campus Security on 0161 247 2222 or via the SafeZone App.


Manchester Metropolitan University Report and Support


Report and Support is the University reporting tool which you can use to report incidents of hate crime. When you make your report you have the choice of sharing your name and details or of making an anonymous report. If you make an anonymous report the details of the incident will be recorded and you will receive on-line advice. The University will use your report to monitor incidents of hate crime and we will keep a record of the incident. However because you have submitted an anonymous report they will be unable to provide additional support.

If you choose to provide your personal details your report will be shared with the Hate Crime Centre at the Manchester Metropolitan Student’s Union. We will contact you within two working days and, should you wish, will support you with the completion of the formal report to the Police on the True Vision system or by phone. We will also discuss other options you have and any other support requirements.



Greater Manchester Police (GMP) or Manchester City Council

You can contact call GMP directly:


+ Call Greater Manchester Police on 101.

+ Call the Manchester City Council Hate Crime Report Line on  08000 830 007.

+ Report online to the police either anonymously or to have an officer contact you via the true vision  page


Manchester Metropolitan University Student Union Advice Centre


The Student Union Advice Centre is a Hate Crime Reporting Centre and in addition to supporting you to report a hate crime we will offer you a free, confidential and independent service offering specialist student-centred advice. You can access this support directly or via Report and Support.



Further Support within the University

Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing Service


If you want to speak with a member of the University’s Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing team, you can contact them on 0161 247 3493 or email counselling@mmu.ac.uk.



Manchester Metropolitan University Chaplain

Support and advice is available from the University Chaplain, Mohammed Ullah. You can contact him by e-mail at mohammed.ullah@mmu.ac.uk


Manchester Metropolitan University Complaints Process – Student Case Management


If the alleged perpetrator of the hate crime is another student or a member of staff you can take action through the Student Complaints Procedure. The Advice Centre can provide advice and support you through this process.


Specialist Support Services


A number of other organisations also receive reports of Hate Crime and provide useful advice, including:-

+ Stop Hate UK – responds to all types of hate crime

+ Tell Mama – anti Muslim hate crime

+ Community Security Trust – Anti-Semitic hate crime

+ GALOP –anti LGBTQ + hate crime

+ True Vision – all hate crime