Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct is a blanket term for various types of sexual violence and/or harassment. It can happen to or be committed by anyone regardless of gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation. If you have experienced sexual misconduct it is important to find the support right for you.


What is Sexual Misconduct?



  • Sexual offenses: These can include but are not limited to – rape, sexual assault with or without penetration, groping, attempted rape/sexual assault, rape/sexual assault when the victim is incapacitated, rape/sexual assault in a relationship, sexual coercion
  • Unwanted Exposure
  • Revenge Porn
  • Stalking
  • Harassment

For more information regarding consent, you can view the free Consent Matters Training by Manchester Met University.


Support and Talking Options:
Support at the University


Support at the University


  • The University offers confidential counselling to Manchester Met students, including those who have experienced sexual misconduct who want to talk through their experiences or make a disclosure
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0161 247 3493


Support at The Union


Support at The Union


  • Our Advice Service can talk through your options and signpost you to services outside of campus facilities
  • The Advice Service can also provide support in registering for exceptional circumstances if you are struggling with your studies


Support in the Community


Support in the Community


Survivors Manchester

  • Male survivors (including male trans and non-binary) of sexual misconduct community service who provide support, talking therapy and a helpline.
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0808 800 5005


Manchester Rape Crisis



  • A community service for the LGBT+ community to support survivors of sexual misconduct, domestic violence and hate crimes. They provide a helpline and self-help guides.
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 0800 999 5428


Support and Physical Health:


The Hathersage Clinic

  • NHS sexual health clinic: Can help people with STI testing and emergency contraception, as well as guidance regarding injuries sustained during sex.
  • Telephone: 0161 701 1555


St Mary's Centre

  • Community Service offering sexual health screenings (for STIs), emergency contraception, forensic testing (within 10 days of the incident that you can choose whether or not to give to the police), immediate crisis support to survivors of all genders.
  • Telephone: 0161 276 6515 (24/7)


Support and Reporting Options:


Reporting to the University


  • Report and Support: An online reporting system if you experience any form of discrimination, hate crime or sexual violence. This report is dealt with in house at the university and you are supported by specifically trained advisors. You can also report anonymously.
  • Advice Service: We are a hate crime reporting centre, and you can speak to someone at The Union who will be able to support and signpost you to relevant services for ongoing support.

Reporting to the Police


  • For immediate support, please phone 999
  • St Mary’s Centre: This community support centre for survivors of sexual misconduct also provides support and guidance for those who want to report to the police. They can find ways to make this experience comfortable for the survivor and an ISVA (independent sexual violence advisor) to aid the process.