Manchester Metropolitan University Students' Union


Your health is one of the most important factors and Your Advice Centre is here to point you in the right direction for all the support you need.


Covid 19 (Coronavirus)

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms:

Visit the University’s safety pages to find out more about the COVID-19 guidelines, including what to do if you test positive, when to wear a face covering and how to update your contact details.


Don’t wait until you feel ill. Register with a doctor (usually called general practitioner or GP) as soon as you have an address so that support is available when you need it. GPs provide a range of services by appointment, including medical advice, examinations, vaccinations and prescriptions (medication). You should still be able to see your GP at home during the holidays (they will be able to see you as an emergency patient or as a visitor).

You can find local doctors via NHS Service Search. If you live in University accommodation, your nearest surgery is The Arch Medical Practice.

Free dental treatment for serious emergencies is usually available from supervised dental students at the Manchester Dental Hospital but please call them first as they have had to adapt the service they can offer due to COVID-19 Tel: 0161 393 7730


Most medical and hospital treatment is free but you may have to pay for prescriptions (medication), dental check-ups and treatment, sight tests, glasses, etc. Currently prescriptions cost £9.15 per item and a basic dental check-up is £22.70.

To apply for help with medical costs, you should complete a HC1 form; and you will receive a HC2 or HC3 in response. A HC2 gives you full help with health costs and a HC3 gives limited help towards the cost. If you don’t qualify for help with prescriptions you can buy a pre-payment certificate (PPC), which will save you money if you need prescriptions regularly. Find out more about pre-payment certificates on this NHS website.


If you think your academic performance might be significantly affected by unexpected issues of ill health you should inform the university through the Exceptional Factors procedure

Your Advice Centre can help you with making an application.


You can see your GP, a Family Planning Clinic or go to the Brook Advisory Centre (under 19’s only) for emergency contraception and advice. You are also able to buy emergency pills from some chemists.

The Family Planning Association website includes a ‘find a clinic’ search. Go to Help and Advice, find a clinic and put in your postcode.


The Hathersage Centre provides comprehensive contraception and sexual health services to everyone.

80 Upper Brook Street, Manchester, M13 0FH.
0161 701 1555


Eaglebridge Health & Wellbeing Centre, Crewe 
Wednesday 17:30 – 19:30 - 01270 275780

The Hub 23/25 Market Street, Crewe
Young persons drop in clinic (under 25 years) Monday 15:30 – 16:45 - Tel: 01270 686923


You can ring the National Aids and Sexual Health Line free on 0300 123 7123 for details of a clinic in your area.


Manchester Royal Infirmary, Department of GUM. Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL
Tel: (0161) 276 5200
The Jarman Clinic (Sexual health service for gay and bisexual men), Withington Hospital
Tel: (0161) 217 4939 Web:


Eaglebridge Health and Wellbeing Centre Dunwoody Way, Crewe, CW1 3AW
Appointment only - Tel  0300 323 1300 Option 3

  • Monday and Thursday 9:00 – 18:00

  • Tuesday and Wednesday 9:00 – 16:30

  • Friday 9:00 – 12:30



Healthwatch Manchester is your independent consumer champion for health and social care in Manchester. They believe that every person in Manchester has the right to a say in their health, care and wellbeing. They believe that their independence and statutory powers place them in the best position to champion your rights and make your voices heard.

Healthwatch do this by listening to the views, opinions and experiences of local people and making sure the planners and decision makers in Manchester hear and act upon them.

They are a staff team supported by volunteers and a board drawn from local independent health and care leaders. They have the expertise, commitment and skills to improve local health and care services for you.

You can help them improve local services by:

- sharing your story of health and social care experiences

- giving feedback or reviewing a service you’ve used in Manchester

- taking part in one of their surveys

- getting involved as a member of Healthwatch Manchester

- join their discussions on Twitter and Facebook.


They have a directory of local services, you can search by service type or post code. Each service on the directory has contact and location details and users can leave a review or rating based on their experience there. If you can’t find what you need on the webpage you can contact them directly and they'll do their best to help.

Visit Healthwatch





The NHS website has lots of useful information and contacts

Brook Advisory Centre
Tel: 0161 237 3001
Self-care hotline (12:00 - 14:00)Monday - Fridayon 0161 233 2196

Campaign Against Living Miserably (young men suffering with depression)
Tel: 0800 58 58 58 Lines are open between 17:00 and midnight, 7 days a week.

Counselling Service (at MMU)
Tel: 0161 247 3493

Drinkline Helpline
Tel: 0300 123 1110 (Monday - Friday 9:00 – 20:00 weekends 11:00 – 16:00 )

B-eat (eating disorders charity)
Helpline: 0845 634 1414
Helpline e-mail service

Manchester Dental Hospital
Tel: 0161 393 7730

Manchester Royal Infirmary (STI clinic)
Tel: 0161 276 5200/701 5081

The Meningitis Trust Helpline
Tel: 0808 80 10 388 (9:00 – 20:00 365 days)

National Drugs Helpline
Tel: 0800 77 66 00

NHS 111 Free non-emergency number

National Unplanned Pregnancy Advisory Service Manchester
0333 004 6666

British Pregnancy Advisory Service
Tel: 08457 304030

National Rape Crisis Helpline (Male or Female)
Tel: 0808 802 9999